Monday, October 6, 2014

October 2014



"I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn't it?"  Anne Shirley, Anne of Green Gables.

I love October!  Right outside my window I can look at my beautiful tree and admire God's handiwork as its leaves turn colors from green to a beautiful shade of red and yellow. Pumpkins, scarecrows and monsters are put on display announcing the arrival of fall and Halloween.  The weather changes and the brisk winds blow in a new season.  We can break out jackets and make gingersnap cookies or s'mores while having a nice hot cup of chocolate.  In my house, this is also soup season and to welcome October here is a recipe for Potato Soup that I treated my in-laws too, and I'm happy to say they loved it! 

Potato Soup
Ingredients:  
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 cup of chopped Onions
  • 11 cups of diced Potatoes
  • 7 1/2 cups of Water
  • 3 Chicken Bouillons, crushed 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of Thyme, Rosemary, Oregano and Salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon of Black Pepper
  • 3-4 cups of Milk
  • 1 cup of Cheese (Cheddar works best)
Directions: 
  • On low to medium heat, melt butter in a large dutch oven
  • Add onions to the melted butter until softened
  • Add water, potatoes, spices and crushed bouillon cubes to the pot, cover and bring it to a boil
  • Remove the lid, reduce heat and allow some of the water to evaporate, about 10 minutes or so
  • Remove the pot from the stove and take out some of the potatoes and puree in a food processor or blender.  You can take most of the potatoes out or leave some in, all to preference, I like to find potato chunks so I typically puree about 2/3 of the potatoes
  • Return the puree mixture to the soup and stir in milk and 3/4 cups of the cheese
  • Serve and garnish with remaining cheese, scallions and even bacon bites
Enjoy and Happy October!!!!





No comments: